Friday, July 25, 2008

Psalm of Lament of the Adopted Stranger

1Why bring me here, O God
To dwell in the midst of these?
2Having carried me away, from land to distant land,
Bearing the mark of resident alien.

3How I long to remember the tastes
Of the pomegranates of home,
4Dream of the refreshing pools of the land of my ancestors,
But the beloved people of home, they cast me out.
5I am the beloved reviled, celebrated as one whose songs of pain
Gladden the hearts of many who hear.
Selah

6Yet in my abiding as resident stranger,
YOU HIDE FROM ME!
7Leaving me to find food among the fallen, rotted fruit
In the vineyard’s row.
8My flesh has become accustomed
To the chilled emptiness of the sun’s retreat.
9There is none to love
In the solitary place.
10I have forgotten the hands of human embrace
And my heart cries out to you, O God.
11But why do you not hear?
What is the reason for this scorn?
Selah

12I believe you are my resting place;
Can you find rest in me?
13Reach into this strange land and pluck their hearts with songs-
The ones who dwell here.
14That I may sing at the welcome table of your righteousness,
The songs of joy and thanksgiving.
15Bring the warmth of the sun’s light upon my face
That I may feel your presence among your people.
16I beseech you, O God, visit me
In the wind, the rain, the moment of your desire.
17Blessed God, just make your way to me.

No comments: